Monday, April 8, 2013

Looking at an Album as a Whole: Nas' Illmatic


1994 was the year when rapper, Nas, took the hip-hop game by storm with his debut album Illmatic. The basis of the album was Nas’ life in Queensbridge, New York and the subject matter ranges from “gang rivalries, desolation, and the ravages of urban poverty.” While Illmatic is arguably the greatest hip-hop record of all time, it wasn’t always like that. In retrospect, it debuted at number 12 on the U.S. Billboard 200 chart and sales were lower than expected with five failed singles. It wasn’t until 1996 that the album became gold, and later platinum in 2001. So what’s all the buzz about? It was the debut of a lyrical master who took his art seriously and crafted an album that spoke of the struggles of his hood as he overcame them.

When you listen to “N.Y. State of Mind”, you can hear Nas opening the track by saying, “Straight out the fucking dungeons of rap/Where fake niggas don't make it back/I don't know how to start this shit, yo.” The dungeons of rap symbolize the underground word of hip-hop and he was making a statement to his breaking out into the mainstream and hopes of being a success. “N.Y. State of Mind” was actually recorded in one take despite Nas openly admitting that he had no idea what he was doing. Clever lines like “Bullet holes left in my peepholes, I'm suited up in street clothes/Hand me a nine and I'll defeat foes”, show the violence Nas faced and fought back against. “Peepholes” served as a way to describe the violence outside on the streets and is also considered a homophone for the “people” getting shot out. Nas’ stream of consciousness on this song vividly describes shooting out the police to defend himself and is later ended by his thoughts on the youth and their misinterpretation and abuse of violence. Lines like “I never sleep, cause sleep is the cousin of death/Beyond the walls of intelligence, life is defined/I think of crime when I'm in a New York state of mind” and “The city never sleeps, full of villains and creeps/That's where I learned to do my hustle had to scuffle with freaks” go to show the lifestyle he lived growing up in New York and how his past has made him the go-getter he is today.


In a 2012 interview with NPR Music, Nas explained his inspiration for exploring this subject matter: "[W]hen my rap generation started, it was about bringing you inside my apartment. It wasn't about being a rap star; it was about anything other than. I want you to know who I am: what the streets taste like, feel like, smell like. What the cops talk like, walk like, think like. What crackheads do — I wanted you to smell it, feel it. It was important to me that I told the story that way because I thought that it wouldn't be told if I didn't tell it. I thought this was a great point in time in the 1990s in [New York City] that needed to be documented and my life needed to be told."

NPR Music Interview: http://www.npr.org/2012/07/22/157043285/nas-on-marvin-gayes-marriage-parenting-and-rap-genius

Even the album artwork speaks to the albums center theme of the youth growing up in a life full of poverty and violence. It is a picture of Nas at the age of 7, superimposed on a picture of the New York City projects. Nas states, "That was the year I started to acknowledge everything [around me]. That's the year everything set off. That's the year I started seeing the future for myself and doing what was right. The ghetto makes you think. The world is ours. I used to think I couldn't leave my projects. I used to think if I left, if anything happened to me, I thought it would be no justice or I would be just a dead slave or something. The projects used to be my world until I educated myself to see there's more out there.” By the age of 10 years old, Nas had already been writing.

“Memory Lane” is a perfect juxtaposition to “N.Y. State of Mind”. Having only lived a quarter of his life, Nas raps about growing life experiences in the past 20 years. The track opens up with, “I rap for listeners, bluntheads, fly ladies and prisoners/Henessey-holders and old-school niggas” representing the audience he believed he had at his early beginnings. The infamous hook, "Now let me take a trip down memory lane"/"Coming outta Queensbridge" are samples from Biz Markie and Craig G, respectively. The second part is especially significant because the sampled song comes from the exact time and place Nas raps about in his track (80s Queensbridge Housing Projects).


As a whole, when you hear the seamlessness of content on Illmatic and take into consideration Nas’ confident ability to speak of the life he lived in such an effortless poeticism, it makes sense why people consider this to be the blueprint of hip-hop. As controversial as it sounds, Nas was young and figuring the ropes out but he had within him the confidence and the ego of the greatest rapper alive and the combination lead to an album that sounded like it was from a seasoned rapper with the notion that he was only 20 years old and struggling present in the stories he rapped about. It offers 40 minutes of raw and continuous rhymes with complete absence of female-sung hooks, no guest stars and no single producer – this was Nas’ project. Prefix Magazine’s, Matthew Gasteier writes, “In Illmatic, you find the meaning not just of hip-hop, but of music itself: the struggle of youth to retain its freedom, which is ultimately the struggle of man to retain his own essence.”

10 Facts You Didn’t Know About Illmatic: http://www.complex.com/music/2012/04/10-things-you-didnt-know-about-nas-illmatic/






12 comments:

  1. Nice work ! Your post really discusses the album as a whole. I think it's cool how Nas was so young and inexperienced in the rap game but still managed to produce such quality work. I also find it refreshing when a rapper shares their life story because it allows us to get to know them better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool background story on Nas! I had no idea about his life or even who he was until his name came up in class, but now I know and appreciate him a lot more to thanks to your blog post this week. I'm guessing this is the same topic for your paper?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really liked your post, it was very informative! I really liked the fact that Nas always wanted to stay true to himself and was able to create good quality music while doing that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very infirmative post. I can tell you really took the time out to listen to the allbum as a whole and try to decipher Nas' reasoning behind the different songs on the album.

    ReplyDelete
  5. All I have to say is that this is going to make my post extremely difficult since this one is so good and I have the same topic. You set the standard very high, good job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post! You did an excellent job of looking at the album as a whole and even examining the album artwork. I knew nothing about Nas before, but feel like I know his life after this album

    ReplyDelete
  7. Impressive, I knew nothing about Nas prior to this homework assignment and your post makes me want to re-listen to the album!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The critical success of a rap song or album, and really music in general, is judged by how well the artist can relay his message to the audience. In Illmatic, Nas accomplishes this through the amazing imagery and meaning he puts in his rhymes and the album is given even more weight when you consider the serious theme of the album .

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like how you touched on all different parts of the album like the background information, art work, and songs! You definitely supported your point and I learned a lot about Nas like I wasn't aware that "N.Y. State of Mind" was recorded in one take!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great job! I really enjoyed your breakdown and interpretation of the album as a whole, it added insight that I overlooked.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is a very thorough analysis and description of one of the most legendary albums that belongs to hip-hop. It combined so many elements of street wit, perseverance, and intelligence that enabled it to be the classic it is. Nas, one of the rawest lyricists in the game was arguably in his prime during this record and it was truly exploited through each and every one of his songs

    ReplyDelete
  12. From what I have read/heard from people who actively listened to hip-hop at that time, Nas had built up a large amount of hype prior to the release of the album. He had generated a buzz for himself through mixtapes and bootlegged cassettes of those mixtapes. It is interesting to note that hype still works the same way in hip-hop, as A$AP Rocky's rise to fame took a very similar route (I would say about as similar as you can get in the 2010's).

    ReplyDelete